Le Balikbayanne box


For those of you who are not familiar with what a Balikbayan box is, lemme enlighten you. A Balikbayan box is a box that is specifically designed to meet the maximum allowable measurements for air cargo. Filipinos who are overseas across the globe would come home, bringing with them food stuffs, clothes, shoes, toys etc...to their families. The normal luggage cannot well accomodate all of this, so through the Filipinos' ingenuity, we have developed the Balikbayan Box to allow us to maximize whatever we can bring over. The box' measurements ( 23 3/4" X 17 3/4" X 18 3/8") are so unique that you can only purchase it from a Filipino store. You can't get it at the Home or Office Depot or not even from the Post office. I betcha that if you are in a busy airport and you see two or three of these boxes (we are not satisfied with just one, since you are allowed two per passenger), a Filipino is not far behind. I even had a porter tell me on one of my trips if he can help me with my "Filipino Louis Vuitton". My dream would be to own one of these boxes made with the Louis Vuitton Monogram canvas. So if by chance Patrick-Louis Vuitton is reading this blog of mine, maybe he can have one made, send it to me and call it: Le Balikbayanne Box. Check out this link from NPR.

Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.