Fashion Trend of the Month for May 2012 - Natural Neutrality
Our Fashion Trend of the Month for May is Natural Neutrality. Natural materials are in the spotlight this month with fashion accessories that feature nature's own resources. These trendy accessories are all at least partially made of a natural grown material, and they're all in neutral colors. This month featured natural and neutral materials include raffia, wood, straw, and cork. Hues for these materials generally range from light ivory to dark brown. Because these are all fashion neutral colors, they can go with anything.
What better time to carry a straw tote and wear a floppy raffia sun hat than for a day of summer fun at the beach? Wooden jewelry makes the perfect accompaniment for late spring and summer fashion. Cork sole on shoes are cool. It's all about easy, breezy accessories that we can throw on for an effortless look and not have to worry about taking them too seriously. Leave the diamonds and designer bags at home, and relax with accessible neutral and natural fashion finds that perk up your summer wardrobe.
Tips for Wearing Natural and Neutral Fashion Accessories
- Don't spend big bucks on straw handbags because although they're great summer purses, they don't hold up as well as a leather handbag that we might carry during the fall or winter.
- Don't go entirely neutral with the summer fashion accessories. Mix them with at least one item in a bright or pastel color for more fashion excitement.
- Select wooden earrings in drop styles so that they'reflattering for a petite woman.
- If you're going to wear a raffia or straw hat, keep the brim size no wider than your shoulders to maintain the best proportions.
- Wear natural and neutral fashion accessories with this summer's bright colors or with black or white.
Natural and Neutral Fashion Accessories Shopping List
Bop Basics raffia floppy hat from Shopbop (Buy Direct)
Diamond-shaped wooden earrings by Natasha Couture available from Nordstrom(Buy Direct)
Three-strand wooden and horn bead necklace available from Nordstrom(Buy Direct)
Wooden bangle from Coldwater Creek(Vendor's Site)
Straw tote available from eBags (Buy Direct)
Leopard print wedge with cork soles available from Zappos (Buy Direct)
Additional Natural and Neutral Shopping for Petites
More raffia sun hats(Compare Prices)
More wooden earrings (Compare Prices)
More wooden bead necklaces(Compare Prices)
More straw totes (Compare Prices)
More cork-soled sandals(Compare Prices)
By Paula Darnell, About.com Guide